Oswegoland Park District • 313 E. Washington St. • Oswego, IL 60543 • 630.554.1010 •  oswegolandparkdistrict.org 
 
sReturn to the Oswegoland Park District Homepages
Creating Opportunities for a Healthy Community!
View video of the natural beauty of Hudson Crossing Park.
 

Hudson Crossing Park & Oswego Bridge (6.0 acres)
65 N. Harrison St., Oswego
Washington Street (U.S. Route 34) at Harrison Street in downtown

Features:

  • Reservable picnic shelter - print reservation form
  • Playground (handicap accessible) with 6 slides, 5 climbers, swings, seesaw, "Cool Mister", spinners, and tot playhouse
  • Benches and picnic tables
  • Sandbox with backhoe digger and frog sculpture
  • Two lighted picnic shelters with grills
  • Open picnic area with grills
  • Drinking fountain
  • Toilet shelter
  • Fishing areas
  • Concert/festival area
  • Sitting areas
  • Lighted paver walkways throughout park
  • Fox River Trail bicycle/pedestrian bridge over the Waubonsie Creek
  • Egret sculpture garden
  • Interpretive signage
  • Canoe access
  • Parking lots
  • Fox River Trail trailhead

Shelter Reservations
The shelter at Hudson Crossing Park can be reserved by Park District residents for a 4-hour period of time:  Saturdays and Sundays, 11:00am-3:00pm or 4:00pm-8:00pm, or weekdays as available. There is a $50 fee to reserve the Hudson Crossing Shelter.  Download a Hudson Crossing Park Shelter Reservation form, or call 630.554.1010 for information and availability. 

 

 

 

HUDSON CROSSING PARK HISTORY

The Village of Oswego was founded at the site where the Fox River flows across a limestone shelf that provided a shallow, smooth route used by Indians and early settlers to cross the river. Wagons and stagecoaches traveling the Joliet-Galena trail and the Fox River Trail from Ottawa to Geneva crossed the river using the ford at the site of the present Hudson Crossing Park. In 1835, the first settlers named the village Hudson after Hudson, New York.  (In 1837, area settlers voted to change the name to Oswego.)  In commemoration of the crossing that gave Oswego its beginnings, and the original name of our village, the park was named Hudson Crossing Park.   The arches over the limestone columns at the entrances to the park were designed to depict a wagon wheel passing through the waters of the Fox River.

Hudson Crossing is a site unique in its history, transformation, and application. Beginning in the early summer of 1900, the Aurora Elgin & Chicago interurban trolley line crossed the Fox river on a steel bridge supported by limestone piers dating back to shortly after the Civil War (1867). To the north, near the mouth of the Waubonsie Creek, the Hopkins Saw Mill provided lumber for some of the Oswego's earliest buildings. The Illinois Department of Transportation replaced the trolley bridge with an automobile bridge in 1994. The old bridge was renovated and preserved by the Oswegoland Park District as a bicycle and pedestrian bridge. Funding for the development transformation was provided in part by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources OSLAD Program. The site is illuminated for passive evening use.

 


[BACK TO PARKS LISTING]

 


produced by
Visionary Webworks
~ eParkDistrict.com