Oswegoland Park District hosted the Project Greenway Recycled Fashion Show on April 21. This show featured designs that were made of primarily recycled and repurposed materials. Designers of all ages created Accessories or Runway Looks out of ties, aluminum cans, curtains, cardboard, car wires, dryer sheets, and more.
This year, the three judges were Angie Scharbert, fashion teacher at Oswego East High School, Melissa Kittoe, employee at the Prom Shoppe, and Julie Imfeld, college representative for FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. They critiqued all entries and community members attending the event had the opportunity to vote for the People’s Choice awards. The Limelight Theatre Company’s improv group, Fries With That?, entertained the crowd while they judges deliberated.
In the Accessories category, winners were:
- Best of Show -“Foulard Fascinator” by Laura Anderson
- Most Wearable – “Silver Chic” by Tyler Fata
- Most Avant Garde – “Cardboard Clutch” by Renee Niederkorn
- Most Innovative Use of Recycled Materials – “Magazine Covered” by Tessa Melton
- People’s Choice – “Silver Chic” by Tyler Fata
In the Runway Looks category, winners were:
- Best of Show -“Nothing to Get Ruffled About” by Stephanie FitzSimons
- Most Wearable -“Suit of Spring” by Brooke Ashley Cullifer
- Most Avant Garde – “Cardboard & Pattern Paper Dress” by Renee Niederkorn
- Most Innovative Use of Recycled Materials – “Push Your Style Into High Gear” by Tyler Fata
- People’s Choice – “Cardboard & Pattern Paper Dress” by Renee Niederkorn
Other featured looks included “Operatic Elegance,” “Laced up and Ready to Recycle,” “Cinderella’s ‘From Dryer to Wedding’ Dress,” and “The Mystery of the Missing Curtains,” by Stephanie FitzSimons, “Reinvestments” by Laura Anderson, and “VHS Flapper” by Sue Kennedy.
Best of Show winners received a cash prize, and all winners also received a recycled ribbon.
Many thanks to all of the artists who have shared their talents for this event! We are already looking forward to next year’s fashion show.