Downtown Oswego Construction:
Access to Hudson Crossing Park will be affected by street closures during the construction of The Reserve at Hudson Crossing. Learn more about this project.
- Adams Street, from the Waubonsie Creek bridge to Washington Street
- Jackson Street, from Adams Street to Harrison Street
- Harrison Street, from Jackson Street to Washington Street
Two entrances to Hudson Crossing Park will remain open during construction: the entrance at the corner of Washington Street and Harrison Street, and the park’s northernmost entrance via the Fox River Trail. The entrance located at Harrison Street and Jackson Street will be closed and redesigned as a part of public improvements surrounding The Reserve at Hudson Crossing.
Off-street grass parking will be available north of Hudson Crossing Park along North Adams Street.
- 6.2 acres
- Reservable picnic shelter
- Playground (handicap accessible) with 6 slides, 5 climbers, swings, seesaw, “Cool Mister”, spinners, and tot playhouse
- Sandbox with backhoe digger and frog sculpture
- Two lighted picnic shelters with grills
- Open picnic area with grills
- Drinking fountain
- Portable toilet shelter
- Fishing areas – Catch and release only. No motorized boating, swimming, or ice skating.
- Concert/festival area
- Lighted walkways throughout park
- Fox River Trail trail head
- Fox River Trail bicycle/pedestrian bridge over the Waubonsie Creek
- Egret sculpture garden
- Canoe access
- Parking (68 spaces)
The Village of Oswego was founded at the site where the Fox River flows across a limestone shelf that provided a shallow, smooth route used by Indians and early settlers to cross the river. Wagons and stagecoaches traveling the Joliet-Galena trail and the Fox River Trail from Ottawa to Geneva crossed the river using the ford at the site of the present Hudson Crossing Park. In 1835, the first settlers named the village Hudson after Hudson, New York. (In 1837, area settlers voted to change the name to Oswego.) In commemoration of the crossing that gave Oswego its beginnings, and the original name of our village, the park was named Hudson Crossing Park. The arches over the limestone columns at the entrances to the park were designed to depict a wagon wheel passing through the waters of the Fox River. Hudson Crossing is a site unique in its history, transformation, and application. Beginning in the early summer of 1900, the Aurora Elgin & Chicago interurban trolley line crossed the Fox river on a steel bridge supported by limestone piers dating back to shortly after the Civil War (1867). To the north, near the mouth of the Waubonsie Creek, the Hopkins Saw Mill provided lumber for some of the Oswego’s earliest buildings. The Illinois Department of Transportation replaced the trolley bridge with an automobile bridge in 1994. The old bridge was renovated and preserved by the Oswegoland Park District as a bicycle and pedestrian bridge. Funding for the development transformation was provided in part by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources OSLAD Program. The site is illuminated for passive evening use.